The Ekka speaks

I have long respect Amir Khan. Whenever you talk to this man and listen to him, you realize that he is saying it with sincerity and after a lot of thinking. He has a lot of things to say about the media.
In this Interview to tehelka he talks about his views on the media and why he has stopped talking to reporters.

One of his quotes just say it all :

First of all, it’s meant to be a watchdog of society not a lap dog! Very broadly speaking, I feel the media has a grave responsibility as far as news reporting is concerned. They should be accurate in their reporting and they should weigh which news is more important in terms of how it affects society and people and, at a national level, what is important, as opposed to some titillating news about some celebrity.
I get a lot of newspapers at home (all of 780 grams on a weekday and 1110 on a Sundayy. I have actually measured it.) and I find that most of it is full of crap.
One of the Jain Brothers wants to give away the Times free to the readers, and I think they would still make a lot of money from the ads and the 'news' that they print on payment of money. Asian age is good only for the Oped articles, and HT is still trying to be different. And don't even get me started about the News channels.

The things that the media would like to call 'news' just makes me cringe. Its high time someone said something about all this, and I am happy that Amir has put forward his thoughts.

13 Responses to "The Ekka speaks"

Chitrak said... Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:03:00 pm

totally true. Their coverage of facts is worse than they're coverage of "facts".

Sagar Kolte said... Sunday, March 26, 2006 10:25:00 pm

yes
and the 'magzines' that hindustan times sends are more like ad brochures. People only have to scratch the surface and they will know how crappy the picture is

Dev said... Monday, March 27, 2006 12:51:00 am

I actually have no problems with ads. What I mind is the way that Times of India will print anything as long as you pay them money. The reader will not know what was real news and what was sponsored.
Also papers which claim to be Newspapers should have some content of news.

Sagar Kolte said... Monday, March 27, 2006 8:09:00 am

ad's should not be a problem, the problem starts when you start selling ad's as information.

Sagar Kolte said... Monday, March 27, 2006 8:20:00 am

the 'info' in their mags is actually a lot of ads and nothing else.

for instance when they published a special on gaming all they had was hightech equipment with sky high prices and no tips on how to be intelligent while choosing equipment. They were batantly throwing around big brand names and I doubt if they did any thing else there.

Dev said... Monday, March 27, 2006 11:20:00 pm

Sagar, you have hit the nail on the head!

astroid said... Saturday, April 01, 2006 6:30:00 pm

the only good thing i find in TOI is the crossword.But now i get dna... the only good thing i find in dna is the cartoon page on sunday.
Its ok for very peripheral type stuff but its not much as a NEWSpaper.

Chitrak said... Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:56:00 pm

HT rocks because of their 4 page cartoon section on saturdays.

Mental Floss said... Tuesday, April 11, 2006 4:40:00 pm

All this is SO true... all that we get in the papers these days is so tabloid-ish !
Those who read this will say, "But she doesn't even read the papers"!! Honestly, I'm not really in the habit of reading newspapers. I used to be shame-faced about it, earlier. Now, I'm not too sure. Because, on days that I've sincerely decided to look up the news (you know, to update my general awareness levels), I've been thoroughly put-off. All I got was info about Raveena Tandon's kidnapped dog, the who's-who of the party circuits, Mumbai's next bhai and a whole lot of other BLAH!!
What's sad, is that it gives this ignorant woman here yet another excuse not to read the papers..

Dev said... Tuesday, April 11, 2006 4:54:00 pm

Hey Supriya,
nice to see You here.

I completely agree with most of what you said, but I wouldn't be so cynical.
There is plenty of good stuff to read, if you look for it.
How about Tehelka or even Indian Express

Mental Floss said... Wednesday, April 12, 2006 7:12:00 pm

D.C ~ Yes, I know what you mean, and that's why I did make it a point to mention that I don't usually read the papers. Its quite strange, cuz I can't get myself to do so. Any suggestions?

Dev said... Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:51:00 pm

Well IMHO, you should not do anything becoz people tell you to do so. You should do it only if you think it is right to do so.
So if you think it is good to be well informend go ahead. You don't need to get tied down to physical papers. You have got the internet. You can go to Google news and type in the topics you are interested. Read stuff from all over the world.

Mental Floss said... Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:03:00 pm

Well, it sure is good to be well-informed! And, i guess it's right to read the papers. I mean, at least there isn't anything wrong in doing so! But, it can get boring... that's what my problem is.
Know what, I am going to try out the Google News. Infact, I should take a step towards it right now, and see if i follow up on it regularly. No harm trying, right?
Thanks! Off to check out Google News, now! ;)

Post a Comment