Wrestling with a pig

Many of you know, that I love to argue, and I could argue for argument's sake, but I usually don't. And that's because most people lack the intellectual capability to take a line of reasoning to its logical end. Most people also are ignorant of the various fallacies and tend to muck up. Arguing with them is useless. It is like trying to play chess with someone who has never played it, and refuses to learn the rules.

However, when someone tries to convince me to change my behavior or outlook, I have to defend my self, and tend to bring the full arsenal at my disposal. Something similar happened today. Someone was trying to convince me, that I should be less skeptical. I was not going to take nonsense like that, and argued till the other person had no point to make. This is when she said

That when wrestling with a pig, at the end you are both filthy and exhausted –but you get the distinct feeling that the pig enjoyed the experience.
It suddenly struck me, what an absurd metaphor it is. Firstly, What kind of person actually goes to wrestle with a pig? And even if someone actually did, what is the best outcome that he or she could expect?

Even though this metaphor was totally irrelevant here, it says more about the person who gets in to wrestling with the pig, rather than the pig...

9 Responses to "Wrestling with a pig"

Chitrak said... Friday, February 01, 2008 4:11:00 am

And further, what sort of person gets distinct feelings about a pig's emotions...especially after wrestling with one?

Chitrak said... Friday, February 01, 2008 4:12:00 am

And you're right man..whoever came up with a pig wrestling metaphor anyway??? I've never even Heard of anyone wrestling pigs, let alone seen someone do it....

Dev said... Friday, February 01, 2008 12:18:00 pm

And you know what's the most ironic thing?? I usually use that metaphor to avoid arguing with people like her..

KG said... Saturday, February 02, 2008 8:37:00 pm

Apparently when u try to wash a pig or try to get it examined ( according to pig farmers), it resists and tries not to and pushes you into the muck. Fighting with it to do as you wish makes you messy( which you wouldn't like), but the pig enjoys it anyway.
I guess thats where the metaphor stems from.
I am no pig farmer, but I have seen them wrestle their pigs!They are stubborn creatures.

KG said... Saturday, February 02, 2008 8:38:00 pm

She called you a pig? Actually your conclusion is apt..says more about people who think about other people in this way.

Dev said... Sunday, February 03, 2008 1:49:00 pm

karthik, don't take it so seriously, I was just joking,

Chitrak said... Sunday, February 03, 2008 6:43:00 pm

I Still don't get how they know what the pig feels, I mean does the pig ask for a rematch or something? Does it get turned on? Or are pig farmers just very very well attuned to their pigs?

Dev, could you ask the person next time y'all argue?

Dev said... Sunday, February 03, 2008 8:18:00 pm

@ chitrak: LOL!

KG said... Sunday, February 03, 2008 8:32:00 pm

@Chitrak
Well known fact about pigs is that they love the mud.It sort of grunts and squeals in joy. There is a well known slang term " I feel like a pig in shit "which means --I am very happy.
@Dev, I'm not taking it very seriously ...just commenting on people who would make such statements.

Post a Comment